Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Shabby She Shed Tin

Blank Altoids Tins are by far one of the best things on the planet. They can be transformed into countless things: decorated containers for secret things, pocket sewing kits for embroidery on-the-go, a base for altered art, or even a place to display miniatures. It was the Altered Tin Facades from Alpha Stamps, coupled with a blank tin, that inspired me to create a wee scene with a shabby chic aesthetic. The Moments in Time 6x6 paper pad might have had something to do with it too. It is very pretty!


I began with the furniture, which is made from a few buttons and bent wire that has been painted white. The table was covered with a bit of doily and some Dresden trim. I chose a fabric covered button for the cushion of the chair and an oval button for the back. The back seemed plain so I painted on a few flowers. I emulated that on the tiny, tiny shutters also. I really love those shutters and am happy that they found a home on a very appropriate piece. The picture frame is simply cut from heavy cardstock, glued at an angle to give it a little dimension, and then painted. The shelf is also cardstock that is covered in paper and glued in place. The cute lamps come from the Dress Shop Shape Set. I chopped them in half, covered them in paper, added a doily trim, then glued them in place. 




The outside was the fun part. By this point I knew this project was taking on a very shabby chic personality, so it definitely needed a white-washed effect on the outside. I simulated wood siding by cutting thin strips from the 12 x 12 House of Roses on the Porch paper and gluing the strips on top of each other, overlapping them slightly as I worked toward the top.



After gluing on the strips (I eventually decided to cover the front entirely), it was turned over and the excess was trimmed off.


I dry brushed white acrylic over the paper to create a white washed effect.


The facade was attached to the front of the tin and I added the miniature louvered shutters and a strip of dresden to replicate a roof. The super cute tiny rose vines didn't quite match so I simply trimmed off the red roses, dipped the ends in glue, then rolled the glue in Flower Soft. The flower pots are painted Antique Silver Tall Flower Bead Caps! 


All of that in an itty bitty tin. I love those things!


Keep on crafting!

Sipply List can be found HERE.